Thursday, July 14, 2011

Midnight in Paris

Ok, so even though this blog is supposed to be about books I read I am posting today's blog about a movie I saw today. But in all fairness it's a movie about writing and writers and books...sort of.


I just came back from viewing Midnight in Paris, and if you haven't seen it I've included a link to the trailer at the bottom of this post. Some people don't enjoy Woody Allen films. I think this was my first Woody Allen film, actually.


I enjoyed the movie for several reasons. One, it takes place in Paris - which most of you know is very near and dear to my heart. Two, the main character (Owen Wilson) is an aspiring novel writer and we have that in common. Three, it showcases the 1920s, which is such an interesting and important time period. Four, it introduces the audience to geniuses who transformed our culture by gracing the world with their brilliant talents: F. Scott Fitzgerald, Gertrude Stein, Salvatore Dali, Pablo Picasso, Ernest Hemingway, and many, many more. People may not have enjoyed the story, but it would amaze me if people didn't leave the theatre feeling just a little more inspired than they were before seeing the movie.

If you can look past the time travel situation (which I happened to think was a very creative idea), there is great meaning and inspiration to take from this film. Some people live in the past, while others take what they feel is important from the past and learn from it and use it to better themselves. And other people are just oblivious to anything meaningful and live very shallow, incomplete lives. I think part of life is about trying to figure out which category you fall into and deciding if you're ok with that.


I recommend the movie, especially if you're an aspiring anything - musician, poet, artist, writer, etc. Find your muse and make it happen. I know I plan to.


http://www.imdb.com/video/imdb/vi853581081/

No comments:

Post a Comment