Saturday, April 16, 2011

The Hunger Games




Ever since I devoured the Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer, I have been searching for a series that would not only appeal to me but that would again pull me into the story and create a connection between me and the characters. My husband recently introduced me to The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, a book that many of my sixth grade students have been urging me to read, and I am totally sold.

I started the book just a few days ago, reading it in small increments before dozing off to sleep each night. I had reached the halfway point in the book last night before turning out the light and burrowing under the covers. Unsettling dreams and nightmares followed (for those of you who have read the book, surely you understand why). Upon waking this morning on the first day of my spring vacation, I immediately grabbed the book off my nightstand and continued reading from where I left off last night. Two hours later, I was staring at a blank page, and in a zombie-like trance reached for my cell phone and kindly, yet desperately, asked my husband to buy the second book, Catching Fire, on his way home. A half an hour later, sadly, he called with the news that Barnes and Noble was all sold out. ALL. SOLD. OUT. Of the hardcover edition. There is no paperback edition yet. Disappointment washed over me. I checked our library's online system. 43 copies available but all are checked out. I put in a hold request and nervously tap my fingers awaiting its availability. This is like torture! (Although, nothing like that experienced in The Hunger Games.)

Here's a quick synopsis of the book for those of you who haven't yet read it but might be interested. The setting is post-apocalyptic North America. There are 12 districts surrounding a capital, and each district is known for something. District 12 is known for coal mining. Katniss Everdeen is the main character and she is from District Twelve. She is no stranger to hunger, neither are most people from District 12. They have only had one tribute in seventy-three years win the Hunger Games. The Hunger Games is an event put on by the government, the Capitol, in which two representatives (tributes) from each district participate. The goal is to be the last surviving tribute. There is killing, trickery, manipulation, and of course, romance, albeit not entirely believable, amongst other things. Each chapter of the book ends in a cliffhanger so intense that it's nearly impossible to stop reading. Kudos to you, Suzanne Collins. Ya done good!

I am left with some heavy questions and concerns after reading the book. First of all, what inspires someone to write such a book? How does one create a story with such themes?
I am somewhat frightened by the possibility of something similar to the Hunger Games actually happening in our current society due to our most recent obsession with reality television (which doesn't really reflect most people's realities anyway). The book most closely resembles the reality TV show Survivor, except that the characters in the book are actually fighting to survive. The threat is most definitely real in the book. But, in both the audience rallies behind their favorite and most capable contestants. Sadly, I don't think we're far from conducting something like the Hunger Games, but I'm fervently hoping nothing like that will ever manifest. Still, the fear is there.

So, what are your thoughts? Have you read The Hunger Games? What's your reaction? How are the next two books in the series - are they just as captivating? Do you have another series that you'd recommend?

No comments:

Post a Comment