Sunday, October 16, 2011

The Island by Elin Hilderbrand

Wow.
I've only read one other book by Elin Hilderbrand (The Blue Bistro), and I thoroughly enjoyed it. So, naturally I had high expectations for this one - and Elin did NOT disappoint. She writes in such a way that I feel like I KNOW each character. She is such an expert at characterization. The plot is simple yet deep, and I like that because it allows the reader to really become acquainted with each character and their particular situations.

Birdie is recently divorced from millionaire Grant Cousins and is enjoying the company of a new man, Hank, whose wife has fallen ill to Alzheimer's and permanently resides in a caretaking facility. Her daughter, Chess, calls in the middle of the night to tell her that her wedding to perfect man Michael Morgan is off. Chess moves back home with Birdie in Connecticut, and Birdie decides to take Chess to her family's summer home on Tuckernuck island, off the island of Nantucket. Birdie's other daughter, Tate, who makes a very nice living as a computer consultant, calls to tell Birdie she is coming to the summer house, too. At the last minute, Birdie invites her sister India, whose famous sculptor husband committed suicide fifteen years ago. Together these four women set off to Tuckernuck, leaving the fast pace of the mainland for a more primitive existence on an island without electricity and warm water. Each woman carries with her a secret, along with the hope that Tuckernuck will save them from themselves.

With the end of the book comes some kind of closure for each character, depending on her need. But, it also provides hope for the future, a revival of sorts. Additionally, Hilderbrand's novels have instilled in me the 'itch' to spend part of a summer in Nantucket. So, if you have any connections or advice on where to inexpensively stay for a week or so, please be so kind as to share. I've got Nantucket on the brain for summer 2012!

(I have to thank my friend Rebecca for not only turning me on to Ms. Hilderbrand, but for also being my supplier!)

Despite its thickness, this book is a fast read. And it will leave you feeling warm and fuzzy afterward :) Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment