Sunday, September 28, 2014

If I stay

 I read this book after finishing The Book Thief, which was probably a mistake accounting for my dislike of this book. The writing didn't impress me, and I was turned off by the disjointed flashbacks. I really struggled to finish this one, and probably should have given up and put it down.

However, the last ten or so pages made it all worth it, particularly this last bit: "I'm feeling not just the physical pain, but all that I have lost, and it is profound and catastrophic and will leave a crater in me that nothing will ever fill. But I'm also feeling all that I have lost in my life, which includes what I have lost, as well as the great unknown of what life might still bring me. And it's all too much. The feelings pile up, threatening to crack my chest wide-open." This is real, the pain Mia feels, and anyone that has experienced any form of loss will understand this and weep a little, or a lot, for the feelings that ring so true in Gayle Forman's words.

No comments:

Post a Comment