Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Secrets to Happiness

Despite what the title suggests, this is not a self-help book. It's a novel. Set in New York City, this novel follows the lives of several characters as they try to create and make sense of their lives. Some of them make (in my opinion) poor and harmful choices, but each seems to learn more about themselves through the process. And isn't that what life really is - a process? Focus on the journey, not the destination. Really this novel does just that. It takes the reader on the journey of the lives of these characters, who are all connected in some way. It's common for the reader to identify with the main character in a book, but I didn't find that to be the case here. In fact, I couldn't identify with any of the characters and I think that's because there was a lack of depth to them. It's like the author only grazed the surface when introducing them.






But, that aside, it was an entertaining read. At times I found myself laughing out loud while reading in bed because it was so funny! The humor was needed and welcomed to off-set the often depressing natures of the characters' lives. With that said, I didn't think the author addressed the title at all. The last page or so of the book offered an attempt to wrap up the content of the book, but nowhere did it explicitly address any secrets to happiness. So, if you're looking for that you won't find it here. But if you're looking for an entertaining read set in NYC, pick up this book and give it a read.



Now here's where it gets interesting. About a year ago I went to a psychic, just for fun to experience something that up to that point in time I'd only read about. The psychic turned out to be a sweet older woman living in a fairytale house that could only be accessed by driving through a diner parking lot into a small opening in a line of shrubs. Her name was Betty and she was delightful. Anyway, she told me I had an Indian (meaning Native American) spirit guide who came to me when I was 4. She then told me his name. I hadn't given it much thought until I was about halfway through this novel. I came to a chapter where the title was the name of my supposed spirit guide. That's funny, I thought. Then I read the chapter. Not so funny anymore, because the title of the chapter actually referred to the name of a character who acted like an all-knowing guide, and he happened to be a Native American. I put the book down, tried to make sense of what I just read, and then picked it up and reread the chapter. I wasn't making it up. The words were right there on the page. So I have to wonder if I was meant to read that book, and what, if any, message is being relayed to me. What is this book trying to tell me?



So far, I haven't come up with much of anything in terms of clarity. If you end up reading it and have some suggestion as to its possible meaning, drop me a note. I'd be interested to read your thoughts.





No comments:

Post a Comment